Everybody likes having fresh flowers in some corner of their home. It brings a sense of happiness and brightens the home. And, nothing smells as good as fresh flowers. However,we feel a sense of sadness when the flowers begin to wilt or die. We want the flowers to look the same for as long as possible. Whether it’s a bouquet or just a single flower, there are some helpful and concrete things you can do to keep flowers fresh, last longer and look their best.
In this article, we will discuss few tips which will help you preserve the life of fresh cut flowers.
- When shopping for roses, you can check the freshness by gently squeezing the rose where the petals meet at top of the stem. If it is soft and squishy, this means the roses are old and you shouldn’t buy them. If firm, the roses are fresh.
- Florists usually keep the flowers in refrigerated areas in buckets of water. The cool temperature keeps the flowers fresh and alive. When you buy fresh flowers and want to use them the next day, do the same.
- If you want to buy flowers for a vase or container, measure the mouth of the vase. Squeezing too many flowers in a small mouthed vase can choke the flowers and make them wilt faster.
- Before putting the flowers in the vase, remove any wilted petals or leaves. Remove all the greenery from the bottom of the stem that is submerged in water. Remove the severely dried out stems.
- It is a good idea to trim a bit of the stems each day. This will help in keeping the flowers fresher as they will receive a steady flow of nutrients and water.
- Always you a sharp knife to cut the stems. Never use a scissor. It will just lead to a messy flower cutting process. For woody and thicker stems, you can use garden shears.
- As soon as you cut the stems, get them in water.
- Always use a sparkling clean vase that has been cleaned in hot soapy water. This will help in removing any microorganisms.
- It becomes difficult for cut flowers to receive their daily dose of nutrients. Thus, it is your job to keep them fed and happy. Use a spray can to water them as and when they look sad and dry.
If you follow these above tips efficiently, you can preserve your flowers for longer than you think.